User not logged in - login - register
Home Calendar Books School Tool Photo Gallery Message Boards Users Statistics Advertise Site Info
go to bottom | |
 Message Boards » » Bat houses (to help deal with mosquitoes) Page 1 2 3 [4], Prev  
DonMega
Save TWW
4286 Posts
user info
edit post

special guest is in the neighborhood because of the new birdfeeder I put up a couple weeks ago. It is one of those ones with the video camera in it (my wife gave it to me for Christmas). I specifically built the pole out of 4 inch PVC to keep the squirrels out, imagine my surprise when I got a video recording in the middle of the night of a raccoon. Apparently raccoons can climb 4 inch pvc with little issue. I let him eat a few nights, and then last weekend I put a 6 inch PVC pipe around the 4 inch and he hasn't tried to climb it again.

I set up the critter cam at the bird feeder to see if he would attempt to climb it, but was really surprised to see the other critters than ran by too. The fox came by in within 5 minutes of the raccoon, and the raccoon ran away and then came back.







[Edited on May 28, 2026 at 11:34 PM. Reason : trying the embed links]

5/28/2026 11:31:37 PM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

oh nvm! Super neat. That raccoon is a scoundrel!

5/28/2026 11:36:59 PM

The Coz
Tempus Fugitive
31590 Posts
user info
edit post

StTexan, have I taught you nothing about how to properly embed vertical videos?

5/29/2026 6:13:29 AM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

I just assume people are going to fullsize it sir

5/29/2026 10:14:20 AM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

^^i actually just realized i copied and pasted from the youtube video on a desktop, so its youtubes fault...guess they just auto default to the same dimensions when giving embed code

5/31/2026 11:20:30 AM

DonMega
Save TWW
4286 Posts
user info
edit post

i must still have the greasemonkey tww script running that auto-converts youtube links to embed links. I didn't realize it wasn't a tww feature

6/1/2026 4:02:53 PM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

Was your summer relatively free of mosquitos?

9/3/2026 9:31:26 AM

The Coz
Tempus Fugitive
31590 Posts
user info
edit post

StTexan is nothing if not a faithful fan of topics that pique his interest.

9/3/2026 9:59:34 AM

DonMega
Save TWW
4286 Posts
user info
edit post

Mosquitos are mostly non existent in my backyard right now, but if I get by my neighbors they pop up. I now have 9 dunk buckets and I think those are the biggest reason for drop in mosquitos

Now ants and flys are driving my wife crazy in the house, but that comes from 3 kids dropping food and leaving the door open

9/5/2026 10:33:51 PM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

I was just thinking i wonder if you had a neighbor that has a phobia of bats, could they complain to like a sheriff and make you remove etc...are there any laws like that?

9/7/2026 12:34:17 PM

DonMega
Save TWW
4286 Posts
user info
edit post

I see bats flying around the neighborhood and they aren't all.coming from my bat house. I doubt any of my neighbors even know I have the bat house. Whole reason I built it was because I had to evict them from my house so they were already here whether my neighbors liked it or not

If my neighbor could have a rooster for 8 years, I can have some bats

9/16/2026 11:35:25 PM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

Oh god. Can you give us a memorable rooster story??

9/17/2026 6:21:28 AM

DonMega
Save TWW
4286 Posts
user info
edit post

not much to share, neighbor that lives on the other side of the creek got chickens during covid. I guess one of them was a rooster, and the way sound works in the valley behind my house I swear the noise gets louder as it echos. I have had 2 young kids that wake up super early that have rooms on the back of the house and I know it is because of the roosters. I think she must get rid of them periodically, but new chicks turn into roosters, and those damn things crow all day and all night. Fuck roosters.

9/17/2026 10:53:54 PM

StTexan
Not AI!
17624 Posts
user info
edit post

Fuck roosters and fuck will wade

9/18/2026 8:24:37 AM

 Message Boards » The Lounge » Bat houses (to help deal with mosquitoes) Page 1 2 3 [4], Prev  
go to top | |
Admin Options : move topic | lock topic

© 2026 by The Wolf Web - All Rights Reserved.
The material located at this site is not endorsed, sponsored or provided by or on behalf of North Carolina State University.
Powered by CrazyWeb v2.39 - our disclaimer.